As I come to the end of my application process, I’m excited to get back to the rest of my life. In addition to blogging more frequently, I definitely plan on reading a lot.
What are your suggestions for me? I’m looking for nonfiction in addition to fiction. I’d love to read books related to sex ed and human relationships — I’m sure you’re surprised — as well as books on other issues that you care about a lot!
In return for the recommendations that you will give me, I decided to write my own recommendation lists. Some of these references are quite obscure, some are quite well-known. Feel free to ask me for more details on any and all of them.
Mimi’s top 10 reading recommendations for sex-positive educators:
1. Risky Lessons: Sex Education and Social Inequality, by Jessica Fields
2. Dilemmas of Desire: Teenage Girls Talk about Sexuality, by Deborah Tolman
7. Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQ, by Daniel Goleman
8. Full Frontal Feminism: A Young Woman’s Guide to Why Feminism Matters, by Jessica Valenti
9. Anything by Paulo Freire
10. Anything by Jonathan Kozol
What do you think? In terms of transformative sex ed, what other books should be included on the reading list?
What’s the list of the books that you recommend for the issues that you are passionate about?
I can’t wait for your responses!